The units of the 70th Infantry Division Special Troops
were activated 15 July 1943 at Camp Adair, Oregon. They trained
there for their combat missions for the next 12 months. During that
period, the division was tasked to provide replacements for U.S.
Army losses in Europe and the Far
This required new replacements and retraining of some of the Special
Troops units. In late July 1944 the division entrained for transfer
to Fort Leonard Wood, MO, and resumed training there. The last of
the replacements arrived in early October 1944. After the three
infantry regiments embarked for Europe during the first week of
December, an advance party from the Special Troops units sailed for
Europe on 13 December 1944, landing in Marseilles on 23 December,
and moved to the Task Force Herren operational area in Northeastern
The main body of Special Troops sailed for Europe on 8 January 1945,
disembarked at Marseilles 18 January 1945 and moved by road and rail
to Northeastern France; they joined the division elements already in
place and on 17 February 1945, began combat operations as a
Operational support to the regiments provided by the 70th Division's
Company A supported the 274th Infantry Regiment.
Company B supported the 275th Infantry Regiment.
Company C supported the 276th Infantry Regiment.
Building bridges was perhaps the most
conspicuous of the Engineer tasks. And when done under enemy
fire-which was much of the time-it was also the most hazardous. They
constructed a variety of bridges: of prefabricated steel components,
logs they felled themselves, of treads laid
rows of pontoons. They also repaired roads and constructed new ones
to speed movement of men and material to the front. Another duty was
the destruction of enemy emplacements. Captured pillboxes were
dynamited. In defense, bridges were wired with explosives in case
they needed to be destroyed to slow an enemy advance. They were also
responsible for laying and clearing minefields. The engineers were
also responsible for providing water for the whole Division.
Purification plants, which were mounted on trailers, were designed
and maintained by the 270th. Water was drawn from lakes and streams
and purified the water at a rate of 15 gallons per minute.
270th Engineers repair roads in the area
near Forbach. Exact date and place of picture is unknown. Junior
McDaniel's (C/270) notes to me indicate that the Engineers lost some
men near this location.