Photographs - Page 19

The following photos come from the engineers courtesy of Dixon, Sprinchorn, Nepote, Amo, Porter, Sortino, Stahl, Bradfield, Wenning, Pottenger, Jones, and Quinton.


Bridge on Rhine River, near Bingen. No Date. Probably mid 1945. Photo: Sprinchorn.

Clell M Jones is standing far right. Others are unidentified. This picture and the next 2 are from Odessa Jones, widow of Clell M Jones, C/270. Mr. Jones passed away June 6th, 1998. All pictures taken after the war.

A picture of the assault boats assigned to the engineering battalion and their prime movers. Photo: Jones.

Clell M Jones. Clell was a truck driver with the Engineers. Photo: Jones.

2nd Squad, 1st Platoon, Co. A, 270th ECB. Taken after the battle of Forbach, March 1945. Evert Sprinchorn is in standing row, 2nd from right. Photo: Sprinchorn.

The photo on the left was taken in Wiesbaden, date unknown. From left to right: Brandenburg, Amo, Lee Roy and "Sackie" Elias. Photo: Amo.

This a shot of Thomas Reed (C/270) in France. Picture taken in November, 1945. Mr. Reed is a member of the Association and lives in Montana. Photo: Amo.

Mr. John Amo, same location as above, November 1945. Photo: Amo.

Bridge built after the war, town unknown. Photo: Amo.

Unknown engineers (Gore and Honeycutt?) C/270 on bridge built after the war, town unknown. This could be the Lahn River bridge in which all 270th Companies had a hand in building. Photo: Amo.

Road work after the war ended, 1945. Photo: Amo.

The picture above is 2nd Platoon, C/270 Engineers. In the standing row from left is Sgt. Brewer, 5th from left is Baker?, 6th is John Amo, and 8th from left is "Sackie" Elias. Sitting on the extreme left is Sgt. Derrick. Front row 3rd from right is Tom Reed. This picture was taken at Hattenheim, Germany sometime in April, May 1945. Photo was sent by John Amo. Photo: Amo.

On the left is Sgt Weber and on the right is Sgt. Brewer. Picture taken shortly after the war. Location unknown. Photo sent by John Amo. Photo: Amo.

The Limburg Prison Camp seen from a distance. It is the thin white line at the base of the mountains and the end of the field. C/270 was involved in repairing this facility after its liberation. The conditions there, noted by several engineers, were terrible. When the Company began its repairs, only Russian and Polish POWs were still there. The Americans had been moved. Those wounded were left behind. Photo: Bradfield.

James Bradfield, C/270, in a picture taken two days after the end of the war. Photo: Bradfield.

The engineers had to build many things, including field latrines which is what the guy is doing on the left. The identities of the men are unknown. Most are from Bradfield's squad. Photo: Bradfield.

Relaxing after the war. C/270 guys in a game of volleyball. Photo: Bradfield.

The next photo is from William Stahl, C/270. It is a pre-war postcard of the hotel which became Company C Hq while the Company was in Hattenheim, Germany. Photo: Stahl.

From Left to Right: William B. Stahl, unknown, Sgt. Price and Neely. Date and place of photo is unknown. Photo: Stahl.

This S/Sgt is unidentified. Unfortunately, William Stahl cannot remember his name. He does remember that this person was killed in action at Forbach, France in 1945. Any help in identifying this man is greatly appreciated. Photo: Stahl

Outside of quarters in Bingen, no date. Photo: Sprinchorn.

This is Sgt. Grover R. Mullen, a good friend of William Stahl. Sgt. Mullen was seriously wounded in action on 16 February 1945 and later died of wounds. Photo: Stahl.

The next picture was sent by Mr. Eugene J. Latini, C/270. He was the Company Motor Pool Sergeant. Mr. Latini writes: "In Forbach, France, we sent two guys with mine sweepers up a road. After about 3/4 of a mile, another soldier wanted to check on them. He went about 50 feet up the road and his jeep blew up. This soldier wasn't injured, but we realized the first two soldiers had mine sweepers that weren't working. They froze immediately after hearing the explosion. Two more soldiers went up the road with working mine sweepers and pulled about 50 mines to get to the original two soldiers." Photo: Latini.